Friday, March 13, 2015

A Saint Patrick's Day Countdown - Day 4











Here is today's piece of Irish literature, a well-read piece it is. Name the author and title and I promise to share a pint with you on the about to be mentioned shore.  

...I often let my legs drop, and could feel no bottom; but when I was almost gone, and able to struggle no longer, I found myself within my depth; and by this time the storm was much abated. The declivity was so small, that I walked near a mile before I got to the shore, which I conjectured was about eight o’clock in the evening. I then advanced forward near half a mile, but could not discover any sign of houses or inhabitants; at least I was in so weak a condition, that I did not observe them. I was extremely tired, and with that, and the heat of the weather, and about half a pint of brandy that I drank as I left the ship, I found myself much inclined to sleep. I lay down on the grass, which was very short and soft, where I slept sounder than ever I remembered to have done in my life, and, as I reckoned, about nine hours; for when I awaked, it was just day-light. I attempted to rise, but was not able to stir....



Music for the day comes from Clannad, the well-known Irish family band from County Donegal. The group got its international exposure from a theme song composed for the 1982 British serial based on Gerald Seymour's novel, Harry's Game. This work of historical fiction explores British espionage during the Irish Republican Army uprising beginning in 1969. The following video features the song as well as the story behind the Theme From Harry's Game as told by members of Clannad.





The lyric is based on an ancient Galway text. The translation from Gaelic reads:

I will go east and go west
From whence came the moon and the sun

Fol lol the doh, fol the day
Fol the doh, fol the day

The moon and the sun will go
And the young man with the reputation behind him

Fol lol the doh, fol the day 
Fol the doh, fol the day
Fol lol the doh, fol the day
Fol the doh, fol the day

I will go wherever he came from
The young man with his reputation behind him

Fol lol the doh, fol the day
Fol the doh, fol the day


No comments:

ShareThis