Friday, April 10, 2015

Happy National Sibling Day 2015


Today is the national day to honor our brothers and sisters. For most Americans I doubt it's much of an issue unless you happen to be known as the "only child." Biologically, I've been an only child for almost 69 years. Such a status has its advantages especially in childhood but over the years the scale of judgement seems to balance, then measure the experience as a disadvantage. Perhaps if one chooses to take vows of silence or live as a recluse being Mom and Dad's little darling works for a lifetime. But most of us will soon find ourselves with friends, spouses, and children all functioning in the greater and lesser circles of family community. That's where I find myself today and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm in such a state largely because my marriage not only bound me to my wife, it also bound me to nine brother and sisters. We're so close that the concept of "in-law" left our vocabulary years ago. Maybe it was that first Christmas together in Oklahoma in 1983 where 27 of us spent a week at the four-bedroom, one bath home of my wife's parents. It was an adventure for an only child of 34 who enjoyed his quiet and solitude.  Out of necessity adjustment came quickly and without regret. 



This photo was taken in Pensacola in 1981 at my wedding. Unfortunately one brother could not be with us but I do have this photo of him taken about ten years later. 


Happy Sibling Day to all my brothers and sisters. You enrich my life more than you will ever know.  

No comments:

ShareThis